Understanding how to store your fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator is essential to avoid useless waste: here is how to do it.
Food waste in the European Union amounts to 88 million tons per year. It’s like throwing away 173 kg of food every year, almost half a kg per day. Understanding how to store food in the best way possible becomes essential to avoid useless waste. Here are some tips on how to store your fruits and vegetables.
How to store fruits and vegetables and how long do they last?
Two important things when it comes to storing fruits and vegetables are the right place to store them and how long they last.
- Citruses can be stored outside the refrigerator, at temperatures lower than 15°C. In the refrigerator drawer, they can last up to 2 weeks.
- Whole pineapples and watermelons can be stored at room temperature for 10 days. After cutting them, they should be placed in the top shelves of the refrigerator, for up to 10 days.
- Kiwis can be stored in the refrigerator drawer for up to 5 days.
- Apples can be stored in the refrigerator drawer for up to 10 days.
- Melons can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Peaches, plums and grapes should be stored in the middle shelf of the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Pears can be stored in the refrigerator drawer for up to 1 week.
Tropical fruits, such as avocados, bananas, mangoes, papayas and passion fruit should be stored at room temperature.
What about vegetables? Here are some common vegetables and the best way to store them:
- Garlic and onions can be stored for 20 days on the refrigerator door, closed in a bag.
- Asparagus should be wrapped in a wet cloth and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Carrots should be stored in a paper bag on the warmer shelves for up to 10 days.
- Salads and fresh herbs should be stored in the refrigerator drawer for up to 3 days.
- Fresh legumes can be stored in the refrigerator drawer for up to 4 days.
- Bell peppers and tomatoes can be stored in the refrigerator drawer for up to 4 days.
- Zucchini can be stored in the refrigerator drawer for up to 4 days.
How to store your vegetables in the refrigerator?
The best way to store fruits and vegetables is surely to keep them in the refrigerator. Refrigerators connected to the hOn app offer many useful functions to correctly store your groceries.
Thanks to the Food Locator, the hOn can guide you in storing your food correctly in the refrigerator. This innovative function will help you improve the storage quality and use the space available in the best way possible.
In addition, you will always have a personal inventory at your disposal: with the app, you can have all the food stored in your refrigerator and in your pantry under check. In addition, by knowing the expiration date of the different food, you can monitor the status of your ingredients: the best way to prevent waste!
In short, with these tips, storing your fruit and vegetables has never been easier!